Manhattan Skyline: SMARC Computer on Module
SMARC is the first COM standard to be built specifically for modern ARM-Cortex system on chips (SoCs), aiming to efficiently pass along ARM benefits such as low power consumption to COTS designs.
The benefits of standardization are listed as follows:
- Reduced cost
- Mass production equals a better price performance ratio
- Improved quality
- Mass production equals higher product quality
- Improved negotiating power for the buyer
- Standards drive product differentiation and competition toward price and service and away from features. This gives buyer both better pricing and better support.
- Standard architectures
- Allows software teams to develop new applications faster with fewer people.
- Scalable and flexible
- More module offerings can be applied to the same platform